[ale] Linux+Samba+WinXP with very large files

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Mon May 22 01:20:08 EDT 2006

^From some Googling I don't think that you should have a problem as long as you have NTFS on the WinXP client and the current stable version of Samba on a 64bit enabled Linux filesystem.  You'd need a kernel later than 2.4.19, but would have that in any current distro.  It wasn't easy to figure out that Samba is just mimic'ing the communication protocol so really the filesystem and OS file size limits are what limit what you can do.  I should have realized this but didn't think it through.  Now, the examples that I saw posted were dealing with the 2Gb limit from older kernels.  Updating to a kernel later than what they currently fixed the file size problem.  It clearly wasn't Samba at the time.  I'd definitely look at XFS if you have good power protection and really large files like 10Gb or larger.  It was designed for that kind of work.

Dow