[ale] Best processor for MythTV?

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Fri May 19 09:35:42 EDT 2006

Hey man, after your astounding presentation at ALE in April I was inspired
to start building my own mythTV box.  The Grand Plan is to change my wife's
TV viewing habits so that they intrude less into my life.

I've acquired a  Shuttle "Zen" ST62K XPC barebones (
http://sys.us.shuttle.com/ModelsK.aspx) and I'm now wondering what processor
to put into it. Money is not as important to me as cooling. I'd also like it
to have enough muscle to do HDTV when the Dread Day of HDTV Reckoning
comes.   After I get the machine running I'll use KnoppMyth for the install.

I figure on maxing out the memory (heck, it's cheap), and starting out with
a 40-gb hard drive I have lyin' around the house. If my wife takes to this
thing, I'll probably actually spend money on the hard-drive part. And of
course I was gonna get a Hauppauge PVR 350 for the actual video
encoding/decoding stuff. I have no current plans to add on the khoul hi-tech
bellz & whistles Jesse demonstrated. Unless, of course, I get real
ambitious..

Your thoughts?

-- CHS