[ale] Best MTA?

Jesse Guardiani jesse at guardiani.us
Wed May 17 09:40:53 EDT 2006

Jay Finch wrote:
> Actually, I'm going to go against the grain and recommend Qmail.  I
> migrated my server from Sendmail to Qmail (using the Qmailrocks page:
> http://www.qmailrocks.org) and really like it!  While Qmail can have its
> eccentricities, the Qmailrocks resource really helps getting the server
> up and running, and is a great resource.
>
> But to each his/her own - Find the solution that works best for *you*. :)

I'll throw in my 2 cents here. I built run, and continue to deploy Qmail servers.
I use Qmail + SMTP AUTH + Vpopmail + qmailadmin + vqadmin + TMDA + ClamAV + custom filtering + RBLs.

I have a love/hate relationship with QMail. I love it because it is *very*
reliable, very efficient, and very flexible (if you know how to code). Also,
vpopmail is available, and while I despise the vpopmail code (it's crap), the
functionality is absolutely wonderful. Users can admin there own domains via
qmailadmin, techs can admin all domains via vqadmin, and everyone is happy.

I hate it because the licensing prohibits direct development of the source code,
so all upgrades are performed through patches. I run 10+ patches on my
systems, some of which I wrote myself.

Eventually, I intend to switch to postfix, but only when I find something that
will provide me to same level of web based configuration for users.

Also, I currently run courier-imap with my qmail servers. Getting that to work
is a bit of a challenge. But that problem might be solved using binc-imap. I've
never tried binc though.

So, in summary, I use Qmail because it can do things that postfix can't. I don't
necessarily like Qmail, but I continue using it until postfix can do those things
too.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin