[ale] Which chip would you select?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue May 16 08:35:04 EDT 2006

On 5/15/06, msmith at mikeandmel.com <msmith at mikeandmel.com> wrote:
> I have each of the below processors but I have to give up one of them.
> Which would you select?  I've heard that the 805D is a better chip for
> overclocking but I like the specs on the Pentium 4.  The rest of the specs
> are similar(both Asus motherboards, ATI video cards, 2 gig of memory, etc)
>
> http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/showchart.aspx?mmID=877077,857985&familyID=1&culture=en-US
>
> BTW, This will be a development box that will dual boot Fedora and that
> other OS...
>
> Mike

Mike,

I'm really keen on Intel's VT.  I'm not sure if that is relevant to
you or not, but I suspect a year from now VT is going to be a big
deal.  A lot of R&D is going on around VT.
XEN/VMware/Parrallels/Microsoft/Apple all are working on taking
advantage of this new technology.  I believe that Apple has decided
that all of the Intel Macs will have VT built in.

Resources I've found to better know wha has VT support:
http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/proc_info_table.pdf
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/IntelVT

HTH
Greg