[ale] Gotta bea FAQ: Give ordinary users R/W/X access to VFAT partition

H. A. Story adrin at bellsouth.net
Sun May 14 13:50:01 EDT 2006

Michael B. Trausch wrote:

>On Sun May 14 2006 09:00, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>

>>On Sun May 14 2006 8:55 am, Jim wrote:
>>

>>>I made it vfat when I installed XP.  I know better than to try to
>>>write to NTFS.  I backup anything important on XP and can reinstall
>>>anytime, so I'm not too concerned about using VFAT.  I rarely boot
>>>XP any more, just to run a couple of small apps that I don't have
>>>adequate replacement for on Linux.
>>>

>>I don't remember a vfat option... likewise, I keep XP around because my
>>wife used to use a photo editing program for windows that she got
>>comfortable with, and my HP scanner's native software for
>>scanning/copying/faxing is windows based...
>>

>Windows XP refuses to create an FAT32 partition (vfat) that is > 30 GiB.
>That's pretty pathetic -- I can use FreeDOS on my 250 GiB SATA drive with
>one FAT32 partition, and Windows XP will then *use* it, but it won't create
>partitions like that.
>
>	- Mike

Yep,   I have been there.   You have to remember this when you have a
external USB drive.   I had to split my 40Gig.  If I tried to do a large
Partition using VFAT in Linux, windows wouldn't read it.   If I tried to
format in XP it wanted NTFS,  then I couldn't write in Linux.  Docs said
to use win98 to partition the drive,  Not going to load an OS to just do
that.

But to answer your question editing the /etc/fstab  to be user should
give you what you want.

Adrin