[ale] on-line storage

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu May 11 18:29:28 EDT 2006

Robert Story wrote:
> On Wed, 10 May 2006 16:15:03 -0400 Jim wrote:
> JP> On a similar note.. anybody have any good recommendations for remote
> JP> on-line backup (approx 12GB).
>
> Sure - make a local copy to a disk/NAS, then send it to a friend/relative. The
> disk works if they're computer savy, and the NAS is better if they aren't. You
> may also have to spring for a hub/multi-port router for the NAS case.

I guess I wasn't clear enough, although I thought my GMail hint should
of hit home.  ;-)

I want to push files (via rsync over ssh, or other comparable means) to
a remote system in a robust secure datacenter.  A distributed system (a
bit here, a bit there) would be a plus as that lessens the concern for
local security.

Also, the reason for desiring remote backup space is because i don't
have 180GB (or whatever) to "loan" out to get 1/10 back in return. ;-)

Thank you though Robert for the NAS idea, I started down that path
several months ago and was totally dissatisfied with NAS devices
(particularly their www interfaces, concerns over their security, and
the fact that they are local to me)

-Jim P.