[ale] Recommendation for off-line storage?

Robert Story rstory-l at 2006.revelstone.com
Thu May 11 15:32:32 EDT 2006

On Thu, 11 May 2006 12:02:36 -0400 Geoffrey wrote:
G> > Another option, which would be much cheaper, would be a dual-layer dvd
G> > burner. A little more time consuming up-front, but cheaper and much more
G> > portable than tape. And given the unknown reliability of burned media,
G> > i'd verify/re-burn once in a while (again, depending on how paranoid you
G> > are).
G>
G> Let's see, let's do the math...  800GB / 14GB = ......  That's going to
G> be a lot of burning.  What's the price for 58 dual layer disks these
G> days. :)

800GB was the tape capacity - he said he had 400GB. So, even if it was single
layer discs (4GB), a 100 pack can be had for less than the cost of one of the
800GB tapes. Eliminate the cost of the very expensive high-end tape drive,
and any concerns of having to track down another should it fail (one of my big
complaints about tape drives and hardware raid controllers).

Of course, my slant here is of a home user w/too much data. If he's talking
corporate bucks, sure, spring for a fancy tape drive.