[ale] OT: Cellphone wierdness

unicron unicron at cybertron.madhorizons.com
Thu May 11 10:35:30 EDT 2006

Jim -
What this sounds like to me is that you had a voice mail message waiting indicator come in as a text message.  The "MWI" is nothing more than a system generated text message that rides over the SMS network to tell your phone to cut an icon on.  The 5 digit "from" address is what's key to determining origin.  The 5-digit number is what's called a short code and is a translation for different things riding on an SS7 network.  All carriers use short codes.

If you're getting a "fast busy" when trying to answer this is either incorrect SS7 routing or cell site issues and will have nothing to do with a virus.

Izzie