[ale] Initial RSYNC data validation

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Thu May 11 08:18:12 EDT 2006

I've got about 500GB of data I need to maintain a sync of across a WAN connection, and RSYNC seems well suited for what I need to do.  However I have not been able to figure out how to establish an initial sync without copying all the data over the first time.

There must be a switch I can use to do a data compare on an initial sync to establish a baseline.

Just to be clear, I have a back up of the original data which I restore on the remote site.  I then want RSYNC to know that the files on the remote site are the actual unchanged files that they are comparing from the local site on the initial sync.  I don't want to try to copy all of this across the WAN link.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420