[ale] Recommendation for off-line storage?

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Thu May 11 00:07:36 EDT 2006

Your idea of large IDE or SATA drives sounds good, but why not set up a system with lots of storage capacity in Linux software RAID 5?  Use decent 5yr warranty server drives and let it run.  If you really don't want to run them continuously then put the data there and unplug the drives.  I would not remove them from the chassis either.  Just label the slot carefully and keep a notebook for the machine.

I'm building up a backup server with a 3ware 8 port card right now.  I have 7x400Gb WD drives for the data.  I'll use all 7 and monitor the drives with smartd via the 3ware daemon.  I believe I'll run SUSE 9.3 for now.  Not sure of any reason to go to the cutting edge on this machine.  That will give us ~3Tb.  We spent about $2600 so far.
Dow