[ale] Windows drivers for my printer so I can use my linux samba server?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed May 10 13:03:12 EDT 2006

> Problem:  I have an HP PSC 1610 that works GREAT with linux and cups.
> Linux boxes all print to it without blinking.  I tried to set it up for
> my wife's windows laptop (required for school, don't bother) but the
> laptop can't find the drivers.  I went to hp.com and found drivers that
> don't support the network and when I told the laptop to use those
> drivers it just gave me a blank stare...  I installed the printer
> localling and it worked, then tried going back to the network/samba
> setup and it couldn't find the drivers again.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?  I'm currently stuck booting my desktop into
> windows whenever she wants to print...

It shouldn't need a special "network" driver to remote print to a shared
printer. Make sure the winders laptop is one the same workgroup as the
samba server and browse for the printer from the printer setup. You will
need to select "network printer" "attached to another windows machine" (or
something along those lines.

If it _still_ won't work, blunder$ does support ipp (it's what CUPS was
written to do). You'll need to lie a bit on the driver setup page and tell
it's a local printer, don't search. create new port, create a new tcp
port, and give it the IP address of the samba server it's attached to.
Somewhere in that mess of screens you can tell it it is an IPP style
printer (or maybe you have to set a port 631).

Double check that samba is running and that all printers are shared out.