[ale] NFS mount problems

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Sun May 7 08:43:43 EDT 2006

On 5/7/06, Ryan Fish <FishR at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> For the past couple days a RHEL 3 AS box running Oracle 9.x.x.x has been
> having a lot of trouble maintaining NFS mounts with a NAS on the same
> network (in the same VLAN).  When the RHEL box is rebooted the mounts are
> fine but eventually attempts to access them time out.
> - When I run "mount" manually on the two mount points they are shown twice
> by "df ?h"

Do the NFS timeouts occur before or after you run mount manually?

What does the mount (and `df -h') output look like after you've done
this manual mount?  Is there an automounter involved somewhere by any
chance?

Without that further info, it sounds like you have remounted NFS
mounts on top of already mounted NFS mount points.  Which is bad, and
could account for the system load going through the roof.

Something more esoteric that could account for the same problem would
be a symlink on the NFS drive that (either directly or indirectly)
points to itself.

Have you analyzed /proc on the oracle server or the NFS traffic
between the two systems to see what files are being read/written over
the connection?

--
Bj?rn Gustafsson