[ale] OT: AMD Athlon 64

Steve Hamlin hamlinsg at gmail.com
Fri May 5 10:31:48 EDT 2006

A few quick links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amd_athlon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_64_microprocessors

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2738
"Alongside DDR2 support, the new Socket-AM2 CPUs add support for AMD's
Pacifica Virtualization technology - AMD's answer to Intel's VT."

Looks like AMD virtualization is not out quite yet, but the AM2 chips are
supposed to be released in the next few months.

I seem to recall some recent discussion (Slashdot?) that some people liked
the AMD64 3800s right now for a good price point, but I don't know if that
was single or dual core, 130nm or 90nm,  etc.   I'd study the AMD64
Wikipedia page alongside NewEgg prices, and figure it out where your best
price/perf spot is.  I don't know about all of the differnence with Venice,
Winchester,etc. but the Wikipedia page explains most of it all.

The socket 939 is the latest and last of the current line before the AM2
socket, which I think is going to consolidate mobile,desktop and server
chips onto one platform (in addition to supporting DDR2 and VT).  If at all
concerned about upgrading the CPU over the next 3 years, you choices are:

(1) go with socket 939 and a cheap chip now, then upgrade to a (by then)
cheap 939-based AMD64 X2 (dual) 4x00+ - last of the line, or
(2) wait a few months, get a socket AM2 platform and the cheapest new AM2
chip, which will probably still be sorta expensive for a while (not expected
to be a huge premium for the AM2s, but they'll be 4x00+s at the low end,
which are currently expensive even as socket 939 form factor.

Hope that helps,

 - Steve Hamlin