[ale] Performance Problems

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Tue May 2 00:27:00 EDT 2006

Vikram,
It isn't the number of files since 135 is nothing.  I would expect a
problem if you 1000 or more but not 135.  I believe CUPs has a wrapper
lp command as part of the package.  You can use lp or kprinter in SUSE
when CUPS is the print system.  The dbus message normal since you've got
a USB connection to the printer, correct?  I wonder if your system is
trying to resolve it's own name via DNS or something screwy like that
for the slow Firefox file saving problem.  If your printing out of your
programs Postscript that has to be rendered and fed thru a slow USB pipe
you could get slowed down printing.  I don't think I've gotten fast
prints out of my HP OfficeJet d125xi USB printer.  Especially at high
quality (600-1200dpi)!  300 grayscale is pretty fast.
Dow