[ale] mounting an SD card

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 09:55:00 EDT 2006

On Thu, June 29 2006 08:47, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Thu June 29 2006 8:10 am, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> > Each "new" device on the USB bus gets its own address number. ?My
> > one girlfriend has a phone that you can plug into the USB port on
> > the computer, and it takes 4 USB addresses, 1 is for a USB modem,
> > and I am not sure (yet) what the others are for, since I haven't
> > looked hard into it yet.
>
> wow, thanks for the in-depth translation, you make it sound so easy!
>
> > That's why I recommended that you start with a tail -f on the kernel
> > log; you can actually see (in close-ish to real time) what is
> > happening as it happens, and see if the camera is just taking one
> > address on the USB bus or more. ?Each address has to be "claimed" by
> > a driver that handles a class of devices, such as Mass Storage.
>
> no /var/log/ker* anything, here are the logs that are being written
> today. HOW do I limit the messages file, or is that possible???

You can use something to rotate the logs out... You'll want to look around
your distro for logrotate or something similar to see if it is there and
can be automatically setup for you.  Otherwise, you can install it
yourself.  I have yet to do that, though, as most distros that I have used
have pretty reasonable settings.

	- Mike