[ale] mounting an SD card

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 22:15:10 EDT 2006

On Wed, June 28 2006 18:16, Jim Philips wrote:

> Well, I get a clear enough result from that:
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 512 MB, 512229376 bytes
> 9 heads, 8 sectors/track, 13895 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 72 * 512 = 36864 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1               4       13896      500107+   6  FAT16
>
> But it still doesn't mount:
>
> bash-3.1# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sd
> mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
> bash-3.1# mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt/sd
> mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
>
> So, fdisk thinks it exists, but mount doesn't?

Well, sort of; not quite.  When you do fdisk -l on the devices, fdisk shows
you the device name (/dev/sda, in this example) and then the partition
number, directly appended to the device name.  As it happens, this
(typically) correlates with how the kernel creates the partitions; though
it doesn't *have* to.

Mount was just telling you that the device node sda1 in /dev didn't exist.
It should exist, though, after replugging the device in... if you need to
create it really quickly, you can just do:

 # mknod /dev/sda1 b 8 1

That will temporarily give you that node, until you can figure out why its
not already there...

	- Mike