[ale] Q: getting details on POSTs to Apache

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Mon Jun 26 10:40:36 EDT 2006

ALErs -

I'm going over the 'Log Files' doc for Apache-1.3 and not finding quite
what I need. My server receives 'POST' messages from clients which
provide a few text strings as args to set variables. I have just enabled
Apache's logging against the 'out-of-the-box' "combined" log definition
in 'httpd.conf':

# a CustomLog directive (see below).
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
combined
# (Combined Logfile Format) you can use the following directive.
CustomLog /tmp/web_access_log combined

These settings get me the source, destination, and action corresponding
to a 'POST', but not the names and values it has returned. The POSTs are
processed by a PHP script that can echo the values it receives, but not
the list of [name:value] of whatever came from the client (or at least
_I_ don't know how to dump that information).

I'm missing the link of seeing content of each POST as it goes by
Apache.

Is there an Apache log setting that would dump incoming messages' full
contents to the log? I guess I could install 'ipchains' (this is a
small, old configuration), but getting the information out of Apache
would be easier.

TIA.
 - Mills