[ale] FC6

KingBahamut gwosbahamut at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 15:18:57 EDT 2006

Redhat and Slackware were the two I started playing around with , so thats
why I guess I hold a "legacy" interest in how Redhat and Fedora go about
their business. After the shake up this week at Novell, I thought Id poke my
nose around the other two camps. Slackware has relatively been unchanged
from what I can see (package updates aside, though Patrick is still THE
man). I was wondering what FC's roadmap was for the 6 release.  Or just an
opinion on it at least.

As to Fultons statment, Well, Ale'ers and Ubuntuforums people wouldnt be
comin over to my house tomorrow to talk about Ubuntu, if I didnt support
that project heavily.

hehe.

On 6/23/06, Fulton Green <ale at fultongreen.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 03:01:48PM -0400, Vernard Martin wrote:
> > Christopher Fowler wrote:
> > > Why have 6 so close to 5?  Why not just make 5 better with updates?
> > >
> > Fedora Core exists as a testing ground for RedHat Enterprise Linux.
> > Dont' fool yourself into thinking that RedHat cares about it beling
> > stable in any shape or form.  They pretty much confirmed this as the
> > RedHat conference a few weeks ago.
>
> To second V's (and Michael Still's) remarks and clarify some possible
> misunderstandings:
>
> FC6T1, not the final FC6, was released on Wednesday.
>
> Fedora's policy has been, since its inception, to have rapid releases. I
> think they're averaging about one every 8 months.  Some people like the
> cutting / bleeding edge that this policy provides.
>
> If you need more stability than that, the Fedora Legacy project can
> help you sustain whatever Fedora you have for a reasonable period of time.
> If you need even more stability, CentOS (based on RHEL's source code) may
> be a better way to go for you.
>
> All this assuming, of course, that you want to stick within the Red Hat
> style of doing things.  I'm sure others can speak up for their camps.
>
> And FWIW, I'm currently running Ubuntu, so it's not like I'm a fanboy.

KingBahamut
http://doc.gwos.org - Definitive Ubuntu Documentation
"I could tell you the probability, but you wouldnt like it."