[ale] OT: Craig Newmark of Craig's List on Net Neutrality

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.us
Thu Jun 22 17:00:41 EDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 07:56:27PM -0400, David Corbin wrote:

> Net Neutrality is new term, but it is not a new thing.  It is how the
> internet has functioned for ~30 years.  All packets are created equal.

To me, the 'net neutrality' issue is brilliantly clear.  The Telcos are
common carriers.  They sell bandwidth, nothing more.  They have a right
to charge more for more bandwidth.

They have NO right to control or restrict content or connectivity
of data transmitted over the channel.

The telcos cannot be trusted.
Do you remember (as I do) when your friendly telco said it was illegal
to connect a second telephone to their line?
Do you remember when they declared it illegal to use a modem on their
line?

How does using a modem on a phone line differ from accessing, say,
googleearth over an internet channel?

At this time, Verizon blocks standard transmission of email.
What's next?
When will they decide I shouldn't download Linux dvd.iso's, or not use
my VOIP telephone, or not connect another office LAN via an encrypted
secure protocol?

As much as I hate government interference, the telcos, et al, NEED to
be regulated to protect us from their avarice (and idiocy).

The Rise of the Stupid Network was originally written during a single
long weekend in May 1997 by David S. Isenberg while he was an employee
of AT&T Labs Research. It was officially released onto the Internet by
AT&T in June 1997.  It can (still) be found at
    http://www.isen.com/stupid.html

This article brilliantly defines the real innovation of the internet
design - a network that is devoid of internal control and which puts
total control at the periphery, allowing unconstrained innovation
by the users.  Only because all control rests with the users, have
we seen usage evolve that was never dreamt of at the outset - file
sharing and bittorrent, VOIP and asterisk, online banking, etc...
This fundamental element - the absence of control within the network -
is at risk today due to a power grab by the telcos.

--
	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad at datix.us         www.datix.us