[ale] CUPS configuration with gutenprint under FC4

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Jun 22 12:59:22 EDT 2006

Background: I set up my girlfriend with a FC4 system for
her home. Currently, the machine has no network
connections, which makes updating a little "challenging",
as I need to burn a CD with the new software yada yada. A
few weeks ago, her Epson all-in-one printer decided to give
up the ghost and not print. I purchased a new printer, and
Epson Stylus CX3810 all-in-one.

The CX3810 is not supported by CUPS/gimp-print as found on
FC4. Oooops. I should know better than to get an
unsupported printer, but I don't and it is time to learn
something new I guess. The CX3810 _is_ supported by
gutenprint (whatever the release number is), but so far I
haven't been able to get CUPS to look at the guttenprint
stuff and ignore the previous gimp-print. Nor have I
recognized how to do this during a google session or with
the man pages.

FWIW, I should point out that gutenprint is the new name
for the gimp-print project.

Thanks to the list for the bandwidth, and thanks in advance
for the use of a clue.