[ale] OT: Craig Newmark of Craig's List on Net Neutrality

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Thu Jun 22 01:25:42 EDT 2006

Any way to fix this?  I get a number of messages from this
list that are similarly mangled.  The only "mod" I did was
putting a ">" at the beginning of each line (using vi :).
(And in case there are any vi newbies here, the syntax for that
would be ":%s/^/>/", omitting the quotation marks of course. :)

-kc

> [...]
>      What should not happen is to charge companies like Google, Yahoo, etc. fortheir access, then charge them again, based on the fact that they deliver videocontent to users. Or music. Or news. They’ve already paid - why charge themagain? This is what Net Neutrality fears the most.   *      “Are all bits treated equally on the Internet today?” They answer No,restating the above argument that everyone has a different access speed. Theyalso digress into the various network prioritizations - like law enforcement andnetwork security.
>      This is a false analogy. These are legitimate uses of packetdiscrimination which benefit society at large, that don’t discriminate based oncustomers or payment. Representative Markey’s amendment covered this - there isa section about making sure emergency communications are not affected byNeutrality. Unfortunately, it was voted down. Regardless, Net Neutrality isn’tabout prohibiting packet reprioritizations - only those that give unfaireconomic advantages to select corporations.    *      “Are all websites treated equally today?” They answer no, citing the factthat websites receive special treatment in search engines; by paying money tothe search company, they receive premium placement when a user looks forspecific terms.
>      This argument doesn’t relate to Net Neutrality at all - another falseanalogy. Search engine placement is like having a billboard with your phonenumber on the highway - not everyone can buy one, but not having one meanscustomers can still call you.    *      “Is there sufficient broadband competition?” The answer they give is“Yes. Competition is flourishing and increasing. In addition to cable modems,DSL, WiFi and satellite broadband, there are increasingly, 3-5 wirelessbroadband options and broadband over power lines.”
>      In many areas, there are only two broadband providers - cable internet,and DSL. Competition isn’t really that present - sometimes there are incentivesto change providers, but generally those come with heavy cancellation fees.Also, with more and more cable companies getting into the phone service arena,breaking neutrality opens the door for more incidents where Internet ServiceProviders block Voice-over-IP service. In addition, power-line broadband isavailable in very few areas.    *      “Is net neutrality — neutral?” The reply is “No. There’s nothing neutralabout the government: dictating one and only one way to design networks;creating an innovation double standard where innovation at the edge of thenetwork is encouraged but discouraged inside the network; or rigging the game bypicking winners before the game is played.”    *      “Would net neutrality discourage innovation?” They reply Yes, citing anOrwellian situation and noting that “net neutr!
 ality proposes that the only wayto protect innovation is to restrict it,” and that “Net neutrality mandatessameness”.