[ale] OT: Craig Newmark of Craig's List on Net Neutrality")

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Wed Jun 21 21:45:40 EDT 2006

Ah, finally some clarity!  In cable modems, starting with DOCSIS 1.1,
voice/video conferencing over IP, or other high priority packets can be
scheduled over the network such that a piece of the bandwidth is
dedicated to their transport, and thus they don't suffer the congestion
that can happen with best effort traffic normally sent over the network.

This is definitely a two-tiered network (in fact, DOCSIS permits lots of
tiers: unsolicited grant service (highest quality), real time polling,
unsolicited grant service with activity detection, non real time polling
service, and best effort).  If anyone would like more info on this, you
can buy the book "Broadband Last Mile Access Technologies for Multimedia
Communications", where I wrote the chapter on cable :-)

Cable modem networks were 'net neutral' when DOCSIS 1.0 was deployed
because they only offered best effort data service.  Ever since DOCSIS
1.1, the network was designed at the MAC and the PHY level to offer
variable tiers of service depending on the tradeoff between performance
and bandwidth savings on the network.  VOIP packets can be given
guaranteed slots in the stream, and even given lower orders of
modulation to make them more robust in the face of interference, both of
which reduce the total network bandwidth available to other services.

So, I do not support legislation that prevents service providers from
offering higher QoS service, and charging more for it.  It does take
more of their resources and they should be able to charge the consumer
more for it.

I do, however, feel that service providers must be prevented from
purposefully eliminating or reducing quality of service on best effort
flows in order to make customers use their higher priced service, which
sounds like the "anti-trust applied to Net Neutrality" but more
specifically applied to best effort data service flows over their
networks, not to the entire pipe.

One service provider, Madison River Communications, tried to block
Vonage packets in order to force customers to use their telephony
solution, and the FCC went after them.  What they did is wrong and
should be prevented.  What is more subtle, would be a service provider
throttling back a particular packet stream used by a third party
offering a service over best effort traffic so that the packet error
rate was higher than it should be, or the data rate less than it would
otherwise be.  I do believe we need legislation to prevent service
providers from doing this, as it will hamper innovation by third parties
like Vonage who offered me cheap VOIP years before it was available from
Comcast.

My two cents,
Daniel

Message: 6