[ale] load issue

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Wed Jun 21 20:40:48 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 07:57 pm, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> David Corbin wrote:
> > I have box that is getting "loads" in the 4-5 range, but when I run top,
> > it's 97.5% idle, and there are not 5 jobs that list a %CPU > 0.0.
>
> 1m LA is not a problem, a four or five 5m LA is something to look into.
>   If you leave top running does it fluctuate up and down?

The LA was > 4 going out to 15m.  I didn't see any fluctuations during the 3-5
minutes I was poking around the server.  The problem has been going on since
this morning around 4AM where nagios reported it at 'WARNING level', and then
it escalted to "CRITICAL" about 2.5 hours later.   (Sorry I don't know
exactly what those levels are, and I'm too lazy to go to the machine and dig
them out just now).

> > When I login to the box, it's very responsive.  But, when I ssh to it, I
> > never get any response.  It doesn't fail, just hangs.

> Could be related to the system doing a PTR lookup on the connecting IP.

I don't think so, but I don't know.

>   Does the ssh session ever connect?

No. The last thing it does is offer my public key and it 'never' comes back or
timesout.

>   What about firewall(s)/iptables in  between you and the host?

There are none.  Both machines are on the same LAN, and I don't think I even
have any of the iptables stuff in the kernels (though I can't be 100% sure of
the latter).

And, of course, things worked fine "not long ago".