[ale] mysql question

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Jun 21 12:09:53 EDT 2006

This has bothered me for a long time.  I add a user to mysql and it
can't log in.  The user is added as "any host", but that seems to be a lie.

See:
GRANT SELECT , INSERT , UPDATE , DELETE , CREATE , DROP , FILE , INDEX ,
ALTER , SHOW DATABASES , CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES , LOCK TABLES , EXECUTE
ON * . * TO 'jim'@'%'
IDENTIFIED BY '************'
WITH MAX_QUERIES_PER_HOUR 0 MAX_CONNECTIONS_PER_HOUR 0
MAX_UPDATES_PER_HOUR 0 ;

( I used phpmysql to add that user)

bash-3.00$ mysql -u jim -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'jim'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

I've never gotten that to work.  If I grant the above to jim at localhost
it works.  Why does mysql say that % means any host when it doesnt'
really mean that?

Thanks,
Jim.