[ale] OT: Craig Newmark of Craig's List on Net Neutrality

Marvin, International Martian of Mystery marvin.higginbottom at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 19:52:46 EDT 2006

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Yahoo and Google, as they provide more services, burden the networks
> provided by the investments of private ISPs...
It's not Yahoo and Google's fault that their services are popular.  It's
the SUBSCRIBERS who're driving the bandwidth usage to and from these
sites and others.  It's not Yahoo and Google's bandwidth- it's MINE.

Yahoo and Google's bandwidth needs are between them and THEIR providers.

> causing those ISPs to
> have to invest more $$ to provide more bandwidth.  Would you rather your
> ISP rolled that cost back on to you?
They already would be if they really needed the cash, and you know it.

> How about a law that says that due
> to an increase in web-based applications, and in order to keep a level
> playing field, the Fed Govt will add an 8% tax on to every broadband
> bill and then funnel that money back to the broadband companies (a'la
> the Al Gore Telcom tax)

I'm dubious about the whole idea that the ISP's are hurting for
bandwidth.  I think they're already making a profit.

I really, honestly, think that it's just a way for entrenched interests
in distribution of such content as music and television to keep it a
game which can only be played by the big-boys- otherwise they're out of
a job.