[ale] Share my frustration: what do you do for fax/data modems?

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Jun 16 16:06:08 EDT 2006

One more thing.  Beware of Intel.  They have these modems they call
hardware.  They include more hardware than an AMR riser modem but they
still require a driver to do the heavy lifting.  I found a sweet deal on
eBay for one for under $5.  Yes it said Linux support.  I forgot my #1
rule.  Received it and opened it and said "Where's the Beef!".  Not many
parts on that PCB.  A little googling and my fear was realized.  Never
even tried to use it.  To Linux an internal modem has to appear as a
16550A.