[ale] Mass Transit Solutions?

Jesse Guardiani jesse at guardiani.us
Fri Jun 16 10:11:12 EDT 2006

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> So the big questions I have to pose is:
>
> What can be done about it that is financially feasible, politically
> possible and technically available?
>
> Of course I have some thoughts on this. :)
>
> We already have an extensive network of asphalt. Neighborhood
> associations have enough clout to kill off a rail line in the areas
> where it is needed (Why has the Tucker Marta spur never been built?).
> The Grand Darpa Challenge has demonstrated we currently posses the
> technical ability to auto-navigate a car through some of the worst
> terrain.
>
> Is it feasible to have current cars retro-fitted with self-nav as an
> intermediate step to a purpose built light vehicle with self-nav
> designed in?
>
> There are social issues with peoples current choice of cars that can't
> be addressed with technology (Why do so many little, tiny women drive
> gigantic 3 ton monsters like Chevy Suburbans north of I-20?).
>
> My thinking on the self-nav is it could allow a smoother traffic flow
> process that would be safer and much more fuel efficient. Ad 60% of the
> work done by the engine is to simply move the air out of the way,
> self-nav would allow cars to safely tail-gate literally bumper-to-bumper
> and thus greatly reduce wind drag on the entire mini-train.

I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime. Auto nav will probably need
some sort of centralized management system to insure reliability and
route around construction, accidents, etc. And just imagine if someone
gets it into their head to hack a car's auto nav or worse, a central
controller.

Not to mention the fact that you mentioned "financially feasible". Have
you seen the massive computers they put in those darpa vehicles? The GPS?
The other forms of vision systems. It ain't cheap.

Now, I'm not saying that it'll never be cheap. I'm sure it'll come together
eventually and come down in cost, but it certainly isn't a solution for today.

I'd love to see some railway routes, especially between Chattanooga and Atlanta
along I75, but this conversation seems to have highlighted political problems
with such a plan.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin