[ale] Stoopid Noobs

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jun 15 22:12:18 EDT 2006

In a production environment on the master login authentication machine
adding a new user required manually editing the passwd file to set up
the TACACS connection port (this was at HP). So I did a:
sudo cp /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.new
sudo vi /etc/passwd.new
sudo mv /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.BAK && mv /etc/passwd.new /etc/passwd

and promptly discovered that the sudo command on HPUX doesn't cache an
authentication cookie and expiration time, it caches the password as
suddenly no one could log in because there was no /etc/passwd file.

Luckily, someone else did have a root shell open on that machine. But it
did take nearly 40 minutes to find them.