[ale] Linux Sys Admin needed

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jun 14 23:20:05 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 21:25 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> driving to work drove me to retire:)

I guess I'm getting a little upset thinking about driving from the burbs
to ATL.  What really pisses me off is to see job listings for cash that
could no way support a person living downtown.  The only option is to
live in the burbs and spend 30m per day in traffic.

If one person makes 50-60k then they would need at least one other
person making good just to afford an apartment anywhere near downtown.
My GF (now wife) lived in an apartment with a guy (think Will & Grace)
and it took both their incomes to make it.  The apartments were built in
the 40s and IMO were so sub-standard I would not have lived in them.

When your employee spends 30+ minutes in stop and go traffic just to get
to your office don't expect amazing performance.  They have been drained
for the day.  I stopped going in 2+ years ago.  I thought I have DSL all
my servers are headless.  Why do I need to go in.  Now I go in once per
week to work on hardware and build product.  Why drive 30 minutes to sit
behind a desk and code 8 hours when I have access to all my equipment
there from home.  Makes no sense to me.