[ale] mythtv hardware question

Chris Farris chris at vitalpowers.com
Wed Jun 14 07:14:39 EDT 2006

If your video card has TV-Out then get the 250 and use the video card to
drive X. If your video card lacks TV-Out then get the 350 and use the
ivtv-fb to drive X.

Other than that, I'd stick w/ 1GB and spend the money on HD space.

Chris

Daniel Howard wrote:
> Pardon me if I missed the summary of the recent MythTV build-in, I get
> ALE in digest mode and do occasionally miss things.
>
> I'm fed up with my Windows MCE platform for video capture/editing/DVD
> creation, and even my Snapstream Win2k box with a Hauppauge USB PVR add
> on, which used to do a wonderful job of PVR and video capture, is
> refusing to see the capture device now.
>
> So, I've got a P4, 2.66 GHz box I'm going to add some RAM to get at
> least 1 GB, maybe 2GB, add a bigger hard drive, and add a video capture
> card to turn it into a MythTV PVR/video editing box using, e.g., Kino.
>
> After initial Googling, I see that the Hauppauge-PVR 250 is quite
> popular for MythTV, and the 350 more capable, but lacking in OpenGL and
> optimum X support.  I want to use this box for PVR, video capture from
> my digital camcorder, video editing and DVD production, and audio
> capture from old vinyl records and reel-to-reel and cassette tapes,
> editing, and studio production if possible.  The MythTV site is somewhat
> ambiguous about recommending a particular video capture card, does
> anyone have a recommendation?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

Chris Farris				chris at vitalpowers dot com
The Exercise of Vital Powers		404 806 1403
http://www.vitalpowers.com