[ale] Share my frustration: what do you do for fax/data modems?

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Jun 13 15:46:01 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 15:38 -0400, Byron A Jeff wrote:
> I'd really hate to have to spend nearly $50 just to get an
> external modem that works.

Welcome to the real world.  I deal with modems in Linux almost on a
daily basis.  I've learned the only real way to go is hardware.

The first problem you'll face is with a serial port.  Many new machines
do not come with a serial port.  Your stuck with a PCI internal modem.

Go to eBay and look for a _real_ hardware modem and buy it.  I used to
get them from Ginstar for around $45/ea.  No I use internal 8 ports that
cost around $2000/ea.

I've also had luck with the acm (usb) type modems.  I bought a Multi-
Tech off eBay for $15!.  They retail for $125