[ale] OT: Craig Newmark of Craig's List on Net Neutrality

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 10:48:53 EDT 2006

eoffrey wrote:
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
>> Geoffrey wrote:

>>> Do you really think they'll stop at simply prompting you to go to
>>>  another site?  Come on, look at television.  There's not a
>>> channel out there that doesn't have pop up commercials during the
>>>  shows now.  It was bad enough when the commercials interupted
>>> the shows, now they're running during them.
>> So, why aren't you advocating a law to restrict TV broadcasters
>> from displaying pop-up ads on their content?  I understand that you
>>  have pet-peeves (lots of them it seems ;-)), but really now,
>> should everyone of your pet-peeves stimulate a new law (which, btw,
>>  passing new laws isn't cheap either)?
>
> You know what Jim, I'm not going to get into another pissing contest
> with you because you seem to enjoy that.

Oh Geoffrey stop that again, it makes you look petty. You respond to
someone's comments, and when they respond back you point a finger and
call it a pissing contest.  Nice.

> But, I did not once mentioned creating any laws.  The original post
> was about a law that was pushed through that would quote: 'allow
> internet service providers to play favorites among different web
 > sites.'  Seems to me, I'm simply arguing against that law.

You are arguing against a new law in the present case of "Net
Neutrality".  But your comments (that I was replying to above) about TV
Pop-up ads and TV broadcasters clearly implied that if you didn't do
_something_ to stop them the world could run a muck.

-Jim P.