[ale] OT: Craig Newmark of Craig's List on Net Neutrality

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Sun Jun 11 03:16:15 EDT 2006

Here's a real world example: with DOCSIS 1.1 and beyond, it's possible
for cable operators to offer their VOIP service with guaranteed quality
of service using features of the spec, while Vonage uses the best effort
data service and is cheaper.  Fine, my Vonage service worked great over
best effort traffic, as long as my HSD service has a high enough
bandwidth.  I believe it is OK for Comcast to offer their VOIP service
using DOCSIS 1.1 and beyond with guaranteed quality of service, but it
is not OK for Comcast to program their systems to purposely reduce the
quality of service of Vonage by mucking with the ports used, etc., in
order to encourage customers to switch to their version of VOIP.  How
you legislate this will be complicated, but I do believe we need to make
it illegal for high speed data providers to go out of their way to
prevent third parties from offering decent services over their best
effort traffic services.

Daniel