[ale] Build-yer-own NAS server

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 17:56:30 EDT 2006

On 6/8/06, J. D. <jdonline at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Is NCQ only a feature on SATAII (SATA 300?) drives?  And yes there are
> > > still plenty of PATA and SATA 150 drives on the market.
>

> I have heard through a hardware provider that all the SATAII drives they
> could find recently did include NCQ support. I have looked around a little
> and it appears that may indeed be the case. Perhaps the performance increase
> of the 3Gbps drives will overcome the performance hit of the caching issue.
>
> Best regards,
>
> J. D.

J.D.

The NCQ feature is enabled/disabled via software.  (Obviously the
drive has to support it before it can be enabled.)

The Linux Kernel is not likely to enable it by default since it is the
kernel developers doing the benchmarking, but they will implement some
way to enable NCQ for those users that have an appropriate workload.

So, you can decide if you want NCQ independent of the SATA 300 vs.
SATA 150 choice.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer