[ale] Build-yer-own NAS server

Denny Chambers dchambers at bugfixer.net
Wed Jun 7 11:35:43 EDT 2006

For software, look Openfiler (http://www.openfiler.com/) or FreeNAS
(http://www.freenas.org/) is another option. Openfiler is a complete
distribution with an installer, based on the CentOS. All of your storage
and configuration is configurable through a web interface. It is a
pretty mature project, that has been around for about 2 years or so.
They started with a software base that was donated by a company called
Xinit System. I don't know as much about FreeNAS, other than it is BSD
based, and doesn't seem as mature as Openfiler. NewsForge did a recent
article on FreeNAS here
(http://hardware.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/19/1349206&from=rss).

Denny