[ale] Build-yer-own NAS server

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 12:48:36 EDT 2006

All,

With the flurry of cheap, high-capacity hard drives out there, I am
beginning to think about
moving my home machines towards using some form of NAS for the majority of the
disk space, allowing me to upgrade the OS easily without having to
worry about the upgrade clobbering my data, or even switch machines
easily (wfie's Window PCs).

Given that 1TB of space can be had for less than $300, I have a few
questions for the collective:

1) is this a bonkers idea in the first place?
2) what should I look at w/r/t the NAS device proper (which distro,
mobo issues, etc)?
3) what type of RAID would be suitable for this?
4) am I forgetting anything?

TIA,

Pete

--