[ale] Need a big external drive quick. Suggestions?

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Fri Jun 2 12:19:14 EDT 2006

You probably should do that dd on a per partition basis, i.e.:

     tcsh
     foreach i (1 2 3 4 5)
     	echo Doing $i
	dd bs=10240k if=/dev/hda$i of=/dev/hdb$i
     end

I find that sometimes just doing:

     dd bs=10240k if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

doesn't work, probably due to architecture.

Another advantage to doing it by partition is that after each partition
is copied you can mount the new partition on /dev/hdb and test it to
see if it worked.  You don't want to discover Sunday morning that something
didn't work.

Of course be REAL careful that you copy in the right direction.  First
backing up the old drive (if possible) or, at least, its most critical
data is a real good idea.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]