[ale] Linux Server distros

Benjie benjie.godfrey at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 23:44:45 EDT 2006

On 7/25/06, Sean Kilpatrick <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 July 2006 21:31, James P. Kinney III wrote:
>  It can be hard to setup. For most people it is not needed. Also, RedHat
>  had a bad implementation back around RH9 that caused MUCH grief and
>  scared off many people.

I don't understand why people wouldn't need it?  Unless of course
their data doesn't grow.  I can't tell you how many times under Linux
I wished I could add another drive and extend the filesystem instead
of switch out drives for something larger, or having to add a drive
and go through the craziness of creating links all over the place to
keep some sort of continuity for a process.  LVM was something I
couldn't wait for in Linux.  As for problems with RH9 and LVM, I guess
I missed out on that.  I had a fileserver running RH9 with a shared
volume using lvm, and it didn't skip a beat as a samba/nfs file
server.  ( I did run into a nasty problem with NIS on that server.)

Benjie