[ale] Linux Server distros

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 22:35:47 EDT 2006

On 7/22/06, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Richard Kolkovich wrote:
> > If you do not care about "official" support, I would recommend Gentoo.
> > I run it on my servers with no problems as long as you read before
> > updating packages (but that is the case with most anything...updates can
> > break things ;)).
>
> ;-) I've seen those sort of issues even with "professional" distros.
>

> Here's what I doing:
>
> I am setting up a few vmware server servers.  On the base install I
> don't need anything that vmware server doesn't need.  I don't
> particularly need LVM, but when using a RedHat distro (or derivative)
> LVM (and several other totally unnecessary things) must exist for the

requiring it to exist for a 'base' install is a bit nuts, but most servers
do run some kind of RAID

base install to exist. <- F**KING CRAZY!  I don't need nfs, or nfs libs,
> hotplug (it's freaking server!), USB (who uses USB mice/drives/etc on a
> server?), DHCP (argh!).  It just amazes me that in this day and age of

Actually, I know a lot of people who use either usb mice/keyboards on their
servers, or the KVM unit they use is USB only

using Linux on so many _servers_, it requires that the operator have a
> team of engineers to re-engineer a "professional" distribution in order
> to use it in their environment.  Part of the problem is that every
> distro tries to be everything to everybody.  Redhat Enterprise Linux,
> IMHO, is not a server distro, it's a workstation distro (but alas not a
> modern-day laptop distro).  Debian (and it's derivatives) comes closest
> to being a secure and small install... BUT vmware doesn't provide out of
> the box modules for Debian, therefore I have to install _development_
> tools on a server just to get it to do what I need it to do.
>
> I hate Windows, BUT none of the above applies to using Windows... except
> that if I use Windows as a VMWare host I won't be able to sleep at
> night. ;-)
>
> I think there is a serious market for a Linux Server distro that is
> secure, stable, small, and doesn't have any dependencies on unnecessary
> crap.
>
> -Jim P.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2