[ale] Linux Server distros

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 22 20:49:08 EDT 2006

Richard Kolkovich wrote:
> If you do not care about "official" support, I would recommend Gentoo.
> I run it on my servers with no problems as long as you read before
> updating packages (but that is the case with most anything...updates can
> break things ;)).

;-) I've seen those sort of issues even with "professional" distros.

Here's what I doing:

I am setting up a few vmware server servers.  On the base install I
don't need anything that vmware server doesn't need.  I don't
particularly need LVM, but when using a RedHat distro (or derivative)
LVM (and several other totally unnecessary things) must exist for the
base install to exist. <- F**KING CRAZY!  I don't need nfs, or nfs libs,
hotplug (it's freaking server!), USB (who uses USB mice/drives/etc on a
server?), DHCP (argh!).  It just amazes me that in this day and age of
using Linux on so many _servers_, it requires that the operator have a
team of engineers to re-engineer a "professional" distribution in order
to use it in their environment.  Part of the problem is that every
distro tries to be everything to everybody.  Redhat Enterprise Linux,
IMHO, is not a server distro, it's a workstation distro (but alas not a
modern-day laptop distro).  Debian (and it's derivatives) comes closest
to being a secure and small install... BUT vmware doesn't provide out of
the box modules for Debian, therefore I have to install _development_
tools on a server just to get it to do what I need it to do.

I hate Windows, BUT none of the above applies to using Windows... except
that if I use Windows as a VMWare host I won't be able to sleep at
night. ;-)

I think there is a serious market for a Linux Server distro that is
secure, stable, small, and doesn't have any dependencies on unnecessary
crap.

-Jim P.