[ale] Linux Server distros

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 18:58:14 EDT 2006

I've had some success with both suse and the [ed|k|x]ubuntu server installs
- they can install a pretty minimal system without too much effort, though
every one I've tried has needed some post-install cleaning to shut off
unnecessary tools.

Warren

On 7/22/06, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So, I've been planning for some new server setups, and thus have been
> looking at CentOS 4 and Debian Sarge.  I'm pretty familiar with both.  I
> must say that in general both suck as a _server_ OS.  Particularly
> because they either don't easily support advanced end hardware (GB
> interfaces, RAID, etc) as is the case with Debian Sarge.  CentOS 4
> supports the higher end hardware (x86_64, etc), but it installs a ton of
> extra crap even on it's "minimal firewall install".  Why would someone
> want cups, some font/xlibs, nfs, etc. on a firewall?
>
> Is there a better x86_64 server distro that doesn't require a 1000 post
> install tricks to make secure, slim, and usable?
>
> TIA,
>
> -Jim P.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2