[ale] SMP kernel on uniprocesser

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 21 18:43:36 EDT 2006

Well, with HT turned off in the BIOS and the uniprocessor default kernel I still have crashed.  What is the right process to go thru to determine the problem?  If I don't use ACPI during boot then should ACPI be turned off in the BIOS as well?  This is a P5MT ASUS motherboard so is rather new.  I was sure this was the smp kernel and HT being enabled but now that doesn't seem to be the origin of the crash.  It is a hard crash where no ping response, keyboard locks up, monitor stays on but no information displayed nor is there a way to see or communicate with the machine to see if the kernel is still alive.  I walk away from a init 3 state with the display showing normal behavior.  When I return the screen is blank but the monitor is still fully on.  I tap the keyboard space bar and no response.  The rsync I was running isn't working since my ethernet switch shows no traffic passing.  After a hard reboot I get tons of filesystem repair via reisferfs working off the journal.  This is quite frustrating.  I'll be back tomorrow afternoon to work on this so any thoughts could be applied then.  Thanks for your advice and help,
Dow

PS.  I've reported all this to ASUS technical support but I don't expect any kind of immediate fix.