[ale] 2. Kubuntu update & new stuff..

fd0man™—The Magical Floppy Man fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 16:32:22 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 14:07 -0400, Steve Brown wrote:

> Paul wrote:
> >
> >just updated my laptop Kubuntu. Now when I log in I get 6 Kubuntu
> >choices..
> >2.6.15-13 + failsafe ( original load)
> >2.6.15.25 +failsafe ( next update)
> >2.6.15.26 + failsafe, newest kernel update.
> >
> >is is keeping those old images in a folder somewhere? do I need 3
> >versions back?
> >I am also running E-KDE desktop, Nice !
> >when I swing the mouse over to the right, I get MORE DESKTOP!
> >I loe the clock & battery meter icons, I guess the fire is the CPU
> >temp???
>
> You probably won't need those kernel images. I can't think of a
> situation where you would need them again, although I am no exper. The
> images are located in /boot
>
> If you just don't want them shown when you boot up (or if you deleted
> them), you can remove those entries from grub, which I believe is
> in /boot/menu.lst if I'm not mistaken (maybe /boot/grub/menu.lst).
>
> -Steve

Well, sort of.  The next time a kernel-update is done, they will all be
regenerated.  You can remove the kernel images using apt-get:

fd0man at pepper:~$ dpkg -l | grep linux-image
ii  linux-image-2.6.15-23-386      2.6.15-23.39   Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.15 on 386
ii  linux-image-2.6.15-26-386      2.6.15-26.45   Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.15 on 386
ii  linux-image-386                2.6.15.24      Linux kernel image on
386.
fd0man at pepper:~$ sudo apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.15-23-386
Password: ****
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  linux-image-2.6.15-23-386 linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-23-386
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 84.2MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
(Reading database ... 81567 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-23-386 ...
Removing linux-image-2.6.15-23-386 ...
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.list file ...
found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

The link /vmlinuz.old is a damaged link
Removing symbolic link vmlinuz.old
Unless you used the optional flag in lilo,
 you may need to re-run lilo
The link /initrd.img.old is a damaged link
Removing symbolic link initrd.img.old
Unless you used the optional flag in lilo,
 you may need to re-run lilo

That will remove the old kernel, and the modules.  I only had one
installed in my case, and I usually just keep one so that if something
screws up, I can go back.

Hopefully, after I can figure out what it is I am doing wrong, I will be
able to keep only one copy of the stock kernel around.  I am trying to
figure out how to build the latest 2.6.17 kernel, because it has a patch
for a piece of USB hardware that I need.  The thing is, that when I
build it, the video stops working?entirely?on the system.

    ? Mike

--
The fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man! (fd0man at gmail.com)
"One world, one web, one program"  ?Microsoft promotional ad