[ale] Serial & Console

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jul 19 14:13:56 EDT 2006

I don't think you can.

--- serial-console.txt ----
You can specify multiple console= options on the kernel command line.
Output will appear on all of them. The last device will be used when
you open /dev/console. So, for example:

        console=ttyS1,9600 console=tty0

defines that opening /dev/console will get you the current foreground
virtual console, and kernel messages will appear on both the VGA
console and the 2nd serial port (ttyS1 or COM2) at 9600 baud.

Note that you can only define one console per device type (serial,
video).

If no console device is specified, the first device found capable of
acting as a system console will be used. At this time, the system
first looks for a VGA card and then for a serial port. So if you don't
have a VGA card in your system the first serial port will automatically
become the console.

The problem is that you will not see startup messages on both
since /dev/console will be associated with tty0.

Do what I do.  Say screw VGA and do everything headless with serial
consoles.