[ale] Newbee needing help #5

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Tue Jul 18 17:22:28 EDT 2006

Hi Bruce,

I don't know if you received an answer on this question yet (too much
line noise :).  Since I don't use either SUSE or Moodle, I don't have
any simple or specific answers for you, but I'd like to make a couple
of suggestions.

First I would suggest that you first start by reading through the
Moodle site's "Free Support" link and in particular the sections
called "Moodle Documentation" and "Installation Problems" under the
Getting Started topic.  A quick review makes it look like a pretty
good resource. (Their installation doco starts with "Don't Panic!" :)
Plus you can ask topic-specific questions there and get answers from
people who actually know what Moodle is (unlike me ;)

Second, you probably want to clarify some things in what you said
below.  For example, did you manage to install Moodle yet?  (Not being
a SUSE user, I don't know if it's an available module or what.)  If
you have, did you get your index.htm into Moodle's "root directory",
or some other root?  (Hint: if you put it into the system's root
directory (aka "/") you're pretty unlikely to ever see it on your
Moodle server.)  Also, my now five minutes of experience with Moodle
indicates that it uses .php files rather than .htm files, so you may
need to start from some other point.

If you haven't yet installed Moodle, you'll first need to get Apache,
MySQL and PHP up and working on your box (per the Moodle installation
doco).  All of those should have standard SUSE modules that you can
install through the distro's installation tools (YUM, or whatever it
uses these days).

Oh, and thanks for your questions. I've learned something new today!

HTH,
Bj?rn (Linux user since 1994)