[ale] Newbee needing help #6

fd0man™—The Magical Floppy Man fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 17:09:07 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 16:44 -0400, Bruce Jones wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Thanks for the kind and true words, it is easier to scare off 10
>  supporters than to gain one.

This is very true?especially with the state of computing that has
evolved with the way Microsoft has handled things in the past, and the
fact that many computer users fear their computer systems.  Many people
who learn that they can have freedoms with software think that it is
really cool, until they post for the first time asking something that is
considered by someone who has been using the system for a very long time
to be a basic question.

> At 55 however It has come to realize that the quiet gurus outnumber the
>  L33Ts by 50:1, no contest :-)
>
> I have had a lot of positive, useful feedback all day from this group,
>  on and off list, and I appreciate all of it.
>
> Your end quote is a little scary, but worthy of serious thought,
> Bruce

Yes.  I thought about it when I first read it, and thought it was an
interesting thought-provoker, so I put it there.  My little bit of
advocacy.  :)

A side note?the "Zoo Mail" program that you are using does not appear to
be properly threading replies, and it also does not seem to support
UTF-8 (a character set that represents Unicode).  You may want to
consider using a different e-mail client.  Evolution is quite nice, if
you are using a GNOME desktop, and if you're using KDE, you may want to
check into something called Kontact, which includes a component called
KMail that also works quite nicely.

    ? Mike

--
The fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man! (fd0man at gmail.com)
"One world, one web, one program"  ?Microsoft promotional ad