[ale] Iogear 8-port KVM switch

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 08:48:20 EDT 2006

All,

I finally bought that kvm switch I was considering 6 weeks ago.

I'm very happy with it for my needs.  It has both a manual port
switching capability and a hot-key method.  And the manual method is
direct access, you don't have to step thru all the connected computers
like on some kvm's I've used.  I have not even tried the hotkey
feature, the manual is perfect for me.

The mouse moves from computer to computer flawlessly from my
perspective. (I have a couple versions of Window's Servers and a SUSE
10.1 box hooked up).

One shortcomming that does not effect me is the auto-scan feature.  It
beeps each time it changes screens (every few seconds) and it scans
even unused ports.  I currently only have 4 computers hooked up, but
it scans all 8 ports.

Anyway, I'm very happy with it, but I think the auto-scan is pretty
close to useless with that  annoying beeping going on.

FYI: Fry's sells this unit for about $200, but it comes without
cables.  I bought it from Amazon for slightly les, but it included
cables.  Cables can be a big part of the expense, so I would avoid the
Fry's produnct.

Greg