[ale] Ubuntu Install

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Tue Jul 11 18:58:53 EDT 2006

On Tue July 11 2006 6:32 pm, Vikram Nanda wrote:
> http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/07/08/introducing-the-dapper-commer
>cial-repository/
here is the critical parts of that web page:
Canonical, Ubuntu?s parent company has announced the dapper-commercial
repository, where one will hopefully find packages released by
commercial companies (read non-open-source) for use by Ubuntu users.
Right now, all the repository has is Opera 9, and RealPlayer 10.
Hopefully as time progresses, we will see more software, like, say,
Skype, that are useful to users presently, though they are not open
source, in this repository.

Some may say this is step backward for Ubuntu, but here?s some reasons
this is not so, in my opinion:

1) The repositories are not Ubuntu repositories, they are on a seperate
Canonical server. These repos are not included in Ubuntu by default,
but users can add them if they like them. They are perfectly legal,
with Canonical having laid the groundwork for distributing them.
<SNIP>
So, friends, don?t worry, and be happy that you have more choices. If
you?d like to start using the new repository, to get opera 9 or
realplayer 10, then add the following line to your list of
repositories:
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu dapper-commercial main
(I personally find it easiest to manually edit
the /etc/apt/sources.list file and add the line in.
Then you need to do a $sudo apt-get update, and you are all set. You
can install opera 9, for example, by doing a
$sudo apt-get install opera

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800