[ale] opinions needed for MPEG2 conversion

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Tue Jul 11 11:26:13 EDT 2006

On Tue July 11 2006 11:02 am, Preston Boyington wrote:
> I have an mpeg file (VCD format) that i edited from my daughters
> ballet recital. ?it's 54 meg in size and I had wanted to convert it
> to something my windows using friends could play.
>
> needless to say the file would need to be much smaller to email.
>
> while i normally would use something to convert it to DiVX (for
> myself), some of these people won't have or be able to install
> additional codecs.
>
> i know they can play wmv's, but i don't know how i would convert to
> that format using Linux.
>
> is there an open format that i could use that plays easily on
> Windows?
>
> any help will be much appreciated.

mplayer, or Windows Media Player, will play most MPG/MPEG/VCD files.
You aren't going to be able to squish it small enough to email without
losing almost all of the resolution. Why not just create a VCD that is
playable on most DVD players, and send it to them in the mail?
I use tovid to convert most of my videos to a format that K3B can use
to make a VCD..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800