[ale] dhcpcd woes for wlan0

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 01:00:45 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 00:02 -0400, Tim Watts wrote:

> iwconfig always displays that warning -- even when it was working. If all goes
> well dhcpcd should exit with 0. man dhcpcd does not document the exit codes.
> What could be the problem?

Interesting... I went through the source code for dhcpcd really quick
with grep, and found that there is no place in the source code where it
gives the exit status of 14 explicitly.  However, it does seem that
dhcpcd does have one point where it exits with whatever signal kills it.
Check your syslog and see if you have a message in it that says
something to the effect of "terminating on signal %d" where %d would
possibly be 14 (SIGALRM).

The only thing about that, is that it would seem that SIGALRM shouldn't
make dhcpcd die... the man page states that "SIGALRM . . . forces dhcpcd
to try to renew the lease" which means that it should react to SIGALRM
in a manner other then terminating.  *shrugs*

So, you've got me.

	- Mike